Thursday, March 27, 2014

Song Onomatopoeia - Song-omatopoeia?

If a word that sounds like what it describes is onomatopoeia (POP, POOF, THUD), then what do you
call a song with music successfully matching the feeling of the lyrics?

Best recent example is "Happy" by Pharrell Williams.  The music of that song just sounds happy! When it plays, it's impossible not to find yourself tapping your foot, or bobbing your head, just feeling happy-clappy!  If you need to boost your mood, just play this song. It sounds happy!

Another example of song-omatopoeia (I made that up) is from the Beatles.

"I'm So Tired,"written and sung by John Lennon, is from the White Album, 1968. The song starts and John sounds tired. The music, lyrics and John's voice, all sound so tired.

Not familiar with the song?  Try this link:
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Beatles/_/I'm+So+Tired

"I'm so tired, I haven't slept a wink. I'm so tired, my mind is on the blink.  I wonder should I get up and fix myself a drink.  No no no…… "

Sometimes when I am feeling so tired, I find myself singing this. It perfectly fits the feeling.

What other songs successfully match the feeling of their lyrics with the sound of their music?

No comments: