Saturday, August 1, 2009

I'm An Infomaniac

Information. I like having access to lots of information. I like to know stuff. I keep reference books around, so I can always check facts and answer vital questions that come up... What's in a Mudslide again? When was that movie made, and who is that actor?

Of course, now that we have the internet, information is everywhere. With internet access, you can google anything, and learn lots of new stuff, from lots of different, worldwide sources. I love this and use it often.

But what about our time? Weren't computers supposed to make our lives easier? (or did I dream that?) In addition to googling anything we want to know, we have to keep up with our email (more new messages in the Inbox?), and our old-school mail, and our Facebook page, and I can't even think about Twitter, and now it appears I have gone and started a blog. Where are we supposed to find the time to maintain all of these new communication and information pipelines?

In some cases, we're now doing things for ourselves that, in olden days, companies used to do for us, like printing out our own airline tickets, and bills, and paycheck stubs. We now spend our own time, ink, and paper, printing for ourselves. Where are we finding the time to keep up with all these new duties? Our lives are already jam-packed.

I'm curious to see how we will face our time management challenges in the 21st Century. With all this access to all this computer-based information and communication, what will fall by the wayside, just because we no longer have the time?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so true. More information to maintain, and no time to do it!
--mm