Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Good Friends, Good for your Health

Over the years, I've realized that my friends are very important to me. We meet so many people through life and we lose track of most of them. But I've lived in many places, and worked at many different jobs, so I have friends scattered all over the place. Even if we don't talk for weeks or months or years, we can still usually pick up where we left off as we try to catch up on all our latest news.

I have always thought that friends were a valuable resource, but now, according to this story from the New York Times (click on link below), it seems our friends are actually good for our health! One quote from the story says, "Friendship has a bigger impact on our psychological well-being than family relationships."

So, whether it's with a phone call, an email, or an old fashioned letter (remember those?) get in touch with an old friend. It's good for you!

What Are Friends For? A Longer Life.

1 comment:

Stacey Rasfeld said...

To expand on your quote from the NYT article: I've found the value of friendship goes enhancing well-being; our friendships sustain psychological, emotional (and actual) survival.

Cheers!