Sunday, July 19, 2009

Paul McCartney makes me smile

Okay, that title makes me sound a bit pre-teenish, but I can't help it. Like many other girls my age, Paul McCartney was my first crush many years ago, and the Beatles played the first music I took note of... and loved.

It was great seeing Paul on David Letterman last Wednesday. Good interview and fun to watch Paul and his band play on top of the marquee at the Ed Sullivan Theater, a mere 45 years after the Beatles first played inside that theater in 1964! Wish I could have been there in person this time, back in my old neighborhood... well, one of my old neighborhoods, there have been a few. Go to CBS.com for their extended 20 minute video clip of Paul's band playing 5 songs outside on the marquee. Here's the link to watch the video: http://www.cbs.com/late_show/video/mccartney.php
** Update... sorry, this link is no longer working. I can't find the video anymore, it looks like CBS has removed it. If you can find it... let me know.

I remember, way back, during at a peak time in the Beatles' popularity, when some people burned Beatles records because they thought the music was bad, or evil, or some bizarre nonsense like that. Even at my young age, this seemed odd. How can this amazing music be considered dangerous in any way? It made no sense. How could they be so close-minded to this music just because it was new and different? Ever since then I always try to give the new and different a chance, not to automatically dismiss it, even if I don't like it at first. That's where the inventive, creative ideas reside, in the new and different, so be open to it.

It's amazing that The Beatles created so many new and different songs, and so much beautiful music in such a relatively short time. I'm glad I lived through those Beatlemania days. We didn't realize it was anything special at the time, but it was a unique and special time. Thanks, John, Paul, George and Ringo, for the music and the fun. I still enjoy listening to all the Beatles music and their solo work. It holds a special place in my heart and makes me feel good. It always will. And... Paul's still cute, too.

No comments: