Monday, September 13, 2010

AYCJ - Day 7 - New York New York, it's a wonderful town


Day 7 on the JetBlue 30-day All You Can Jet Adventure, and it's time for New York City!

Photo: Times Square

Taking the Air Train in from JFK to the E Train (subway) is relatively easy, I've done it before, and there are even several escalators along the way (hurray). A few places with stairs, but you can't have everything.

At the O'Hare JetBlue terminal, I met some other AYCJ adventurers, and we compared notes on where we've been so far, so that was fun to see what people are doing and planning.

I have loaded some of the photos from my camera to my laptop, but I have figured out one potential issue with blogging from the road. Finding WiFi locations where I can spend lots of time blogging, adding photos, etc. Currently... I'm at the Apple Store on 5th Avenue.... shhhh, don't tell them. Wonder how long I can stand here writing my blog, using their WiFi, before they ask me what I'm doing. I think this store location is open 24 hours... Can that be possible? There are 3 or 4 gazillion people in here right now, it's quite amazing... and loud.

But I'm in New York City, where I lived for 11 years, several years ago, so it will be a good time to see old friends and catch up. My first stop is with my friend, Carrie, who I met in a singing class at the Y years ago. She is graciously letting me land on her couch for a night. And tomorrow, we have an afternoon karaoke session scheduled, in her apartment. A few other friends will come by so that will be fun.

Tomorrow my plan is to stay with a friend in Brooklyn for a few nights. That means hitting the subway with my luggage again... (sigh)... such is the glamourous travel life I am leading! I could splurge on a cab I guess, but... trying to be frugal! And I just bought my MetroCard.

That's the first thing I did, right off the JFK AirTrain and I recommend it for anyone visiting NYC. Get an unlimited MetroCard. My 7 day card (good for 7 days from when you first use it) was $27, and it will be worth every penny. I can use it on any bus or subway for the next week, as much as I want. You can also purchase cards that deduct for every subway or bus ride you take ($2.25), but it's just annoying trying to keep track of that. With the unlimited card, just swipe and go. Swipe and go. Swipe and go.

May write more later. And I will be adding photos to posts one of these days. I don't think I can stand here typing much longer ... people seem to be stopping and looking over my shoulder... probably should go. Thanks, Apple. Hey, and thanks, Big Apple!

No comments: