Thursday, September 16, 2010

AYCJ - Day 9 - The People Ride in a Hole in the Ground

Day 9 - Wedneday, September 15, in JetBlue's All You Can Jet 30-day travel adventure -- more NYC adventures.

Photo: Staten Island Ferry, NYC skyline

This was a day when I'm better off traveling alone, because I walked and walked and walked all day long, covered a lot of ground.

Started with a nice breakfast in Brooklyn, with my current friend/host Todd, who is letting me stay at his place for a few nights. Then onward to the Brooklyn Museum. I wanted to see the exhibition for Abdi, who won the Work Of Art competition on Bravo TV, which I wrote about previously in this blog. There are about a dozen of his pieces there, I really like his work. Walked around the museum seeing their other collections, they have some interesting things there.

Got back on the subway into lower Manhattan, walked over to the Smithsonian American Indian Museum, a free museum that I always enjoy walking around and seeing what they have. Their main collection moved to Washington DC when the museum opened there, but they still have interesting collections.

As I walked outside, I saw the Staten Island Ferry... so I decided to take a boat ride. It's free, and takes about 25 minutes each way. You have to get out in Staten Island and wait for the next ferry returning to Manhattan, so figure about 1 1/2 hours to complete this trip. It was a beautiful afternoon.

After returning to Manhattan, I walked along the Hudson River, in Battery Park City, a lovely place for a walk in NYC. There's a lot of construction happening around the World Trade Center, apparently things are starting to progress on new buildings there.

Took the subway up to Soho, to a gallery that a friend recommended. It was almost closing time, but I walked around and looked at some interesting drawings. Then subway again, up to midtown, checked out what used to be the Revlon employee's store, for discounted cosmetics. It's now a store on 39th Street where they sell cosmetics, either last year's colors, or overruns I think. I looked around, but all I could think of was... more stuff to carry around! So I didn't buy anything.

For dinner, I went to Kennedy's pub on W. 57th Street. A good Irish Pub in NYC is a great place to go for dinner at the bar. It wasn't too loud in there, there was a spot at the end of the bar. I ordered delicious fish and chips and a beer, and had great conversations with others at the bar. It was a great end to a very busy day, and I was tired! You can stay in good shape walking around NYC, without even realizing it. Miles and miles and miles you can walk, and lots to see along the way.

No comments: