Tuesday, September 14, 2010

AYCJ - Day 8 - the Bronx is up and the Battery's down

It's the 8th Day on my 30-day JetBlue All You Can Jet Adventure, and there will be several days in New York City ...

Photo: Statue of Liberty

Today I found my way to Brooklyn with my luggage for the next few nights of lodging. More subways, more stairs, but somehow I pulled through.

Then back to Manhattan for some karaoke action! A few friends, mostly from a singing class years ago, gathered to sing at Carrie's apartment. Reiko, Eleanor, Lydia, Carrie and I may have talked more than sang, but that's good too. And you haven't lived until you hear women of a certain age singing Tom Jones songs... It was nice to catch up with old friends.

Then I headed out and walked into midtown, by Rockefeller Center, and into Times Square. When I lived here, I used to occasionally walk into Times Square just to see what new signs and lights were up. It's so packed with people, I remembered why NYC residents rarely go near Times Square, unless they're going to see a show. You especially don't want to be there when the shows get out... in the early evening on matinee day, or any night around 10:30pm. The crowds are mind-boggling. But Times Square is a unique place, full of activity and energy. I quickly got to the point of ... okay, I saw Times Square... now let's get out of here!

I jumped on a subway to go from Times Square (42nd St) down to Union Square (14th St) and an express train was just pulling up. This is a wonderful thing, once you figure the trains out. The express trains only stop at the big major streets, so you can save travel time if you know what you're doing, and you don't see the street you want whizzing by as the train passes it! So the train stopped only at 34th Street, then 14th Street. I traveled 28 blocks in just a few minutes. The subway can be a wonderful thing... when it's working... and going where you want... and especially when there are escalators...

I learned today that Cosi Sandwich places have free WiFi. So, I've just finished my lentil soup, club sandwich, decaf and chips, and I'm writing this post. Tonight it's off to Brooklyn, then I have to figure out how to organize my next few days' activities. So much time, so little to do. No wait. Strike that. Reverse it.

No comments: