Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 12 of 30 days on JetBlue - Another NYC rooftop

Saturday, September 18 - Day 12 of my 30-day JetBlue All You Can Jet Adventure.

Morning starts a bit slowly and not too early in the Bronx, which is how I like it, with a lovely breakfast (Bonnie even made pumpkin muffins -- She really should open a B&B). From the Bronx, I take a bus to the D train (subway), switch to the A train, and came up at the Port Authority Bus Terminal on 42nd Street in Midtown Manhattan. With one more day left on my 7-day MetroCard pass, I have already gotten more than my $27 worth, swiping the card on subways and buses all over the city this week... sometimes even on subways I hadn't planned on taking... (see yesterday)

I walked over to my friend Arnold's millinery studio (he makes hats and other cool things for theatrical productions), where it's always interesting to see what they're working on. Together we walked to his and Richard's home on Manhattan's west side, in an area called Hell's Kitchen. I believe I've heard the history behind that name... or are there competing stories about how this area got that name? If I stop now and research it, I'll never catch up on this blog! So, if you know where Hell's Kitchen got its name, leave it in the comments, and we'll all learn something!

We went to the rooftop of their building around sunset time, and enjoyed the evening air and the beautiful view of the city, as all the lights came on, under an almost full moon. It's an ever-changing view, because, well, they keep building new buildings, which block out the view of the older buildings. But that's life I guess, things just keep on changing.
So, another good day, running around, and spending time with friends

No comments: