Saturday, September 4, 2010

JetBlue AYCJ Travel - Pack It In

Not "pack it in" like quitting... this journey is just beginning. But how do I pack everything I need? And what will I need in the changing seasons of multiple locations? The goal of course is to pack only what you'll use. The challenge is how to figure that out.

Shoes and toiletries take up way too much space, and they're heavy. Simple black shoes are the best and for me, comfort is key. But why can't women's shoes be both cute AND comfortable? Finally, some shoe companies have figured this out and there are more attractive and comfy choices available, so we're making progress. The only secret for toiletries and cosmetics is to try and simplify down to the essentials. They're still heavy and bulky, even in travel sizes. And why don't our bags get noticeably lighter as we use up all these potions anyway?

Black and Tan is not only one of my favorite pub beverages, but it is my preferred color scheme when packing. Black pants, tan or khaki pants, and jeans can take me just about anywhere. Depending on destinations, add black or tan shorts or a skirt, and then shirts and tops of various sleeve lengths and colors. Pack colorful tanks and t-shirts, add some long-sleeved button-front shirts in basic colors, like black, white, tan, brown or grey and your layering possibilities are practically endless. For cooler weather, just wear an extra layer, or add a black sweater and/or jacket.

Though probably in the minority here, I would rather be in wrinkled cotton and linen than in crease-free polyester. I just prefer how cottons and linens feel. I also love washable silk shirts, which take up very little space, and if you wash them out in the sink, they dry amazingly fast. The colors sometimes fade when you wash them, but I haven't had a problem with that, and you can always pack them in a plastic bag, if concerned about colors running.

We need zip-lock bags for carry-on toiletry containers now, and they can also be used for vacuum-packed packing. Just put t-shirts, tanks, undies or socks into a gallon-size or larger zip-lock bag, zip it partially closed, put it on your bed and sit on it. Finish zipping it closed while the air is pressed out of the bag. It will take up much less space and you can re-use the bags while you travel (dirty laundry, wet swimsuits, etc.)

Those are my packing pointers and tips. Now, can I fit all this stuff into that bag?

No comments: